Tuesday, March 13, 2012


My funny for the week - go watch it:
Kidney Stones = Hell

It has been a rough week. I woke up at 3 am last Thursday with severe abdominal pain. I was doubled over and covered in sweat. I went and sat on the couch hoping it would go away, but it didn't. I somehow managed to get Mr. C and the kidlets out the door that morning, then collapsed in bed again. I began debating whether to drive myself to the hospital, call Mr. C for a ride, or call an ambulance...when the pain suddenly lessened, then concentrated into my left kidney. Having suffered through kidney stones a few times before, I knew immediately they had made a re-appearance. Ugh.

By Friday, I was still hurting, but not as bad. But two sleepless nights in a row had left me worn out and tired so Mr. C suggested I go to the dr. for some pain meds. I went in Friday afternoon, and found out my kidneys are bleeding and I did, in fact, have stones. I was given a strong anti-inflammatory and some pain pills, and told to come back if the pain got worse. I arrived at home tired, sore, and miserable - and minus the pain meds because the pharmacy forgot to check their fax machine for the prescription (apparently narcotics scripts can't be emailed, they must be faxed or hand-written). 

About an hour later, Katie Bug came into my room crying and saying she was cold. I took her temp and she, indeed, had a fever. Awesome. I called Mr. C and asked him to pick up my Vicoden when he got off work, and I informed him of Katie's illness. I somehow managed to make dinner so Bren could go to his final Hunter Safety class, and then to spend the night with my BIL & SIL. 

Mr. C ended up having to go out for a beer after work with his bosses, which made my pain meds late. Very late. After he delivered them to me, he reminded me of his gym schedule and left to go running. The day was getting better by the minute - and so was Katie. Her temp spiked up to nearly 103 that night and she was unable to sleep at all. The next morning she was even worse. Mr. C went to pick Bren up from his shooting test and in the space of that one hour, she bottomed out. I forced myself to dress her, and myself, and was ready to take her to Healthreach when Mr. C finally called to say he was almost home. Thank heavens.

He took her to the dr. and she tested positive for Influenza A. She was given a prescription for Tamiflu and sent home with instructions to give her lots of fluids and rest. Mr. C was feeling a bit overwhelmed at about that point. He ordered take-out for dinner that night, then spent Sunday playing nursemaid to the two of us. 

Katie is home until at least Thursday, and I am still in bed. I've had a total of 7 stones so far. The pain hit so hard again this morning that I was once again contemplating a trip in an ambulance. After about half an hour, it eased up again. I am praying this is over soon. Katie turns 7 on Friday and has a sleepover planned with her friends. I don't have time to be sick. 

No comments: