Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Regret Free Parenting by Catherine Hickem, LCSW


Book Description
A motherhood expert teaches the seven essential principles every mom needs to confidently raise her children.
Every mother wants her children to grow up happy, healthy, and fulfilled. But reaching that destination can be full of indecision, worry, and second-guessing. Ask any mother, "Do you think you're doing a good job?" and she’ll likely give you a mixed answer. In her groundbreaking book, Regret-Free Parenting, Catherine Hickem offers seven principles for mothers to raise their children well . . . and know they’re doing it right.
With nearly thirty years of experience as a psychotherapist, speaker, women's ministry director, and founder of Intentional Moms, Catherine Hickem shows how to build respect, companionship, trust, and emotional health as well as how to usher confident, centered, and secure adults into the world. If any mother has ever wondered, Am I raising a good kid and am I doing it right? she needs the impactful teaching of Regret-Free Parenting.



This review has been a long time coming. I read the book a few months ago, but have struggled with actually writing my thoughts and opinions about it. I truly enjoyed reading it. It confirmed to me that a lot of what I am doing as a mother is "right", but that is where the struggle for me comes. Is there a "right" and a "wrong" way to parent? If parenting was cookie-cutter, wouldn't everyone be able to do it well? Maybe the author's children are different then mine or yours and they perhaps respond to methods and practices that other children would not.


I am a very intentional mother. I try to always think long-term where my children are concerned. I rarely react in anger to something they do or say. I try to explain to them why I do things so they know that I have reasons for making decisions. I try to explain the lessons they are learning about life, etc. But that does not mean my way is right and your way is wrong, and that is almost the attitude I felt the author conveyed in her book. I also have to question the fact that she used her own children for most of her examples. There were a few instances where she used another family in a story, but it was mainly her experience with her children that made up the bulk of the text. I do feel that she is a very effective mother. It appears that her children have grown into well-adjusted and productive members of society. She obviously did a terrific job in parenting them. But there are times when, no matter how "intentional" you are, and no matter how involved and loving and Christ-like you are, our children don't choose the path to where we've led them. Sometimes children even make choices and decisions to live their lives in a way that we have intentionally steered them away from, but that doesn't mean their parents weren't attentive, loving, and well-meaning.


With all of that said, I would recommend this book. I feel it would best be utilized by parents of younger children, who still have time to put into practice the things the author discusses, but I also feel any parent would benefit from reading it.



I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”



No comments: