Friday, July 29, 2011

Time Away

I'm sitting on a patio listening to life.
Mr. C and Bren are watching a movie.
Katie is laying in bed watching Disney Channel before going to sleep.
There are some baseball kids in the hot tub next door.
The air is cool and I am enjoying a very slight breeze.
The sky is dark, but I see lights twinkling across the valley.
It is beautiful.
We are in Steamboat this week.
Enjoying a short break from the every-day.
With Cheyenne being so busy this week, we decided to leave town.
We arrived last night, a bit later than we'd anticipated,
but we did arrive, and that is all that counts.
Today we hiked to Fish Creek Falls.
I was wearing flip flops
because I am dumb sometimes and go for fashion before function.
Then Mr. C and The B-Man went golfing at Haymaker.
Bren scored just one shot higher than his Dad.
Mr. C is getting nervous.
Katie and I went downtown and were blessed to spend the afternoon
with one of my oldest (in longevity, not age) and dearest friends.
She drove all the way from Grand Junction
(3-1/2 hours away)
just to see me.
What a gift.
We laughed, shopped, had lunch, and just caught up on things.
I loved hearing about how all of my Junior High friends are doing.
It was so nice to see that time hasn't changed us.
We have grown and matured, certainly.
And life has thrown each of us our share of curve-balls.
But our relationship just picks right back up where we last left it.
I just love that girl.
We missed the third person in our little trio.
Hopefully we can remedy that one day.
Tomorrow we are going to take the gondola up
to the top of the world
(or it'll just seem that way)
and hike around for a few hours.
I am so grateful we took the time to do this.
Our lives get so busy and harried sometimes.
I love getting this time away to focus on US.
To feed our marriage.
To build memories with our children.
And to refresh our souls.

Do you need to do any of those things?
I challenge you to actually take the time to do it.
Even if you can only go for a day or two,
it'll be worth it.
I promise.

3 comments:

Trine said...

I love this post Marti, I'm at work and my world is manic right now - all I want is to be with my son who is growing up too fast..reading this post I felt a calm come over me (along with the urge to leave work, get my little man and husband and head off to feed OUR souls) Thankyou for your post. Beautiful!
Trine xx
www.alittlelessalone.blogspot.com

Marti's World said...

Wow, Trine! First, let me thank you for finding my blog. I love how the internet makes the world just a wee bit smaller. :) Secondly, I am glad this post brought some peace to you. I know how it is to be busy and manic, and how even just a weekend together (even if you don't go anywhere - turn off the phones, ignore the dishes/laundry, and just BE) can really help refresh the entire family. Blessings to you, my dear. And I read your blog - wow! What an amazing project!!!!

Trine said...

Thankyou Marti :)
This book is turning into quite the ride, some of the stories I have heard thus far have been heartwrenching, other heartwarming. It's amazing how differently we deal with such a thing. Hope you are having a wonderful day xx
Trine
http://alittlelessalone.blogspot.com/