Sunday, February 06, 2011

Lady In Waiting

Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner

***I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group and was asked to review it on my blog.

Let me begin by telling you that I love historical fiction. I love reading a novel that has a bit of truth and history behind it. This book was no exception. I began reading it and could not put it down until I had finished. Susan Meissner has written a delightful and entertaining novel.

This is the story of two ladies named Jane. Jane Lindsay lives in current times and is trying to make sense of her husband's sudden decision to take a job in another state without her. She manages her aunt's antiques shop in New York. She has spent her life trying to please everyone else, but never fully realizing her own wants and needs.

Lady Jane Grey's story is set 400 years ago and involves English royalty. Her life has been ruled by people who were more concerned about position and politics than with her happiness and welfare. It was heartbreaking to see her used as a pawn by so many people.

Their lives are intertwined when modern-day Jane finds a ring in an old prayer book. Thus begins the story of the ring's journey from 16th Century England to present-day New York City.

While one Jane is trying to figure out her life, love, and marriage, the other Jane is focusing on obedience, discipline, and duty. The characters in this book were believable and endearing and I highly recommend reading it.

No comments: