Monday, July 26, 2010

Days 1 & 2 of "Project: Week Without Kidlets"

Day 0
The trip to Santa Fe was actually quite nice. The kidlets are actually great little road-trippers (who knew?). Except when Katie puked while we were in the Starbucks drive-thru in Monument. I have a very weak stomach when it comes to that sort of thing. I almost couldn't even drink my Green Tea Frappuccino. Almost.

We arrived in Santa Fe at around 1 in the afternoon. Jess and Joey still had an hour or so left of their trip (we forgot about the time difference when we set our meeting time) so Houston got on her handy dandy phone and found a Trader Joe's! What a fabulous store!!! We then fed the kidlets some lunch at McYuck's while we waited. After handing them off to Jess and Joey, Houston and I somehow found our way to the downtown area. We were in search of Mexican food for lunch. We thought it would be easy to find such cuisine in Santa Fe, New MEXICO. We thought wrong. We did get some amazing pictures during our search, however. After finding bakeries, american food, chinese, and yes, even french restaurants...we finally stumbled upon The Blue Corn Cafe. The Queso/Guac/Salsa appetizer was to die for! Neither of us could choose between the stuffed sopapillas or the tamales, so we ordered one of each and split them. They were sinfully good. I think I need to take Mr. C back there this Saturday when we go back.

After we ate, we realized we'd better be on our way home. We drove through a few strong rain storms, and even ran into some scary looking biker dudes and biker women. I was afraid to get out of the car to gas up, but Houston promised me she'd be on the lookout for trouble. Of course, when they all decided to start their uber loud motorcycles at the exact. same. time...she was hiding in the car while I was outside with the gas pump in my hand. Yes, we are brave women. So glad she had my back on that one! (wink)

Day 1
I dropped Houston off around 11 pm and I made it home at 12:48...and Mr. C was waiting up for me. He is such a sweetie. I was so excited to sleep in on Sunday morning. I was tired from the trip and my back was somewhat stiff (I have 2 herniated discs in my lumbar spine that cause me constant discomfort). Unfortunately for me, I forgot to inform the neighbors that I wanted to sleep in - so they made sure their car alarm went off at 7 am sharp. Once I am awakened, I can't go back to sleep. Needless to say, my neighbor 2 houses down won't be getting any Christmas cookies this year. ;)

Since we were awake, Mr. C wanted to go for his morning run at the track and invited me along. Since I couldn't really think of a good excuse not to go (well, nothing that wouldn't make me look like the lazy girl that I know I am), I thought I'd join him. After about a mile, my sciatic informed me it was unhappy. So I decided to punish it by continuing to walk for another couple of miles. I guess I won that battle, huh?!?!

When we returned home, Mr. C had 2 messages informing him that he had a tee-time at 1:26 pm with Steve, Jeff, and Ron (Jeff had travelled from California the previous day). We showered, grabbed a quick lunch, and then he headed to the course. They also had a BBQ planned for the families after their round. We had a really great time catching up with everyone.

Day 2
Mr. C went to work, so I decided maybe I would, too. I actually put in an 8 hr. day at the architect's office. I haven't done that in YEARS. I have barely worked this summer so I was way behind on my filing. Way behind. As in "I spent 8 solid hours catching up on only filing today" behind. Tomorrow I get to go back and do it all again! Well, I'm not filing, but I am going to be working on some archive projects. Yea, me!

When I got home from my marathon filing workout, I had a phone call from Joey & Jency (see my side bar for a link to their blog). They were in town for CFD! I was so excited they called. They came to visit us before their PBR show tonight. They are the most adorable couple!!! I've known Joey since he was born (he is 2 mos. older than Sean), but this is the first opportunity I've had to meet Jency in real life. After they left, we made dinner, went for a walk, and then Mr. C went back to the office. His project is lingering on for far longer than it was supposed to. Grrr. Since he was gone, I decided to write a mini novella and disguise it as this highly entertaining blog post...

3 comments:

Jency and Joey said...

Marti it was SO good to meet you and Tom! Joey & I couldn't stop talking about what a cool/sweet/awesome couple you guys are! Thanks for letting us come by!!!

Marti's World said...

We loved having you over, Jency. I only wish we'd have had more time to chat. Next time you come to CFD, YOU WILL STAY WITH US! :) Free room, which means you can stay longer to play. LOL. Big hugs to you both.

Houston said...

Hey, I wasn't hiding... I was glaring out the window from the comfort of the car ;) BTW we totally have to go to the french place next time, oh and after talking to friends last night they said we were right in front of The Shack... the man gave us very bad directions!