Friday, December 11, 2009

Chipboard Ornaments

Every year I struggle over what to give to all of the the kids' teachers at school. I have 15 total this year and it is always hard to find something inexpensive, yet nice. This year I found these horrid chipboard ornaments at Michael's in a package of 4 for $1. I decided I'd cover them with cute paper and decorate them. They turned out ok - and I am glad to have something cute to show my appreciation to everyone who works with my children every day. For those of you who are "craft challenged", have no fear - these were super simple!!! Here's a quick tutorial:


Ugly ornament before:

Remove string and adhere cute patterned paper. I used Basic Grey - this print was on the front and the red wood-grain was on the back of it. The scraps were all I needed to cover the trunks of the trees. Ink the edges with black chalk ink.

Add a ribbon and a bell. I strung the bell onto the ribbon and placed it through the hole in the ornament, then I used another piece of ribbon for the bow and tied it just above the bell at the top of the ornament.


I used my Cricut to cut these darling labels, and the word "JOY". I did JOY in two different fonts - this one didn't cut very smoothly and I didn't want to have to hand-trim each set so I switched to another font and it worked much better. The bird is hand-cut and inked - I drew stitching on most of them, but this one doesn't show it. The little snowflake is a chipboard piece, but I ended up cutting a bunch with my Cricut, too.


Finished product showing the other font and the other snowflake!
Voila! Easy as pie!







12 comments:

Hope said...

Great idea on how to "decorate" your chipboard ornament...cute tags too!!

Thanks for joining us at Just Buggin'

Hope
JBDT

Chlo: said...

OH MY HANNAH. These are the CUTEST trees I have EVER seen. Love LOVE LOVE them :]]]

The Adventure of Linds and Lyds! said...

What a nice way to jazz up a less than stellar ornament! It looks great!

Thanks fro joining us on JB!

Robin's Creative Cottage said...

That was a great alteration!! It turned out really cute!!

Christine said...

What a great job transforming this ornament. Thanks for joining in the JB challenge!!!

Blessings,
Christine

Lynne said...

These look very nice! A great gift idea!!
Lynne JB DT

Lori said...

Great idea! I'm sure the teachers are going to LOVE them! Thanks for playing along at Just Buggin..Hope to see you again next time!
Lori
JB DT

Saxo Stamper said...

Hi Marti

Oh these are really sweet and what a change from the original.

Lovely job

Best wishes
Karen
JB DT

Kandi Phillips said...

These are so awesome! I would have never thought of that! Your kids' teachers are super lucky this year, I totally want one of those! Beautiful project! Thanks for playing with us at Just Buggin!

Kandi *JB DT*

62 Cards - Sammye Jo said...

So cute! Thanks for playing with us this week at Just Buggin!

Sammye Jo JB DT
www.62cards.blogspot.com

Lori (THCEO) said...

What a GREAT idea....love it! Thanks for playing at Just Buggin! :)

Debbie said...

Super cute ornaments Marti!! Maerry Christmas my dear friend!! Hope to see you soon for some conversation and scrapping/shopping!