Thursday, September 24, 2009

God always knows...

I was going through my usual blog-hopping routine and found myself quite bummed that many of my favorite girlies hadn't updated their blogs as of late. Then I realized that I was guilty of that same infraction. Sorry.

I expected this week to be really, really difficult. It hasn't been. Granted, I do miss my grandma, but I was missing her before she died because it wasn't really "grandma" laying in that bed in Alabama. I've been mourning the loss of that sweet, amazing woman for many years now. But I have been so blessed with comfort and peace this week. I am always amazed how God just knows what I need, when I need it. I mean, I KNOW He knows, but I'm always amazed at how He remembers little ol' me, I guess.

This week, God made sure that I would have some really wonderful stories to hear about Grandma. New stories. Never-before-heard-with-mine-own-ears stories. They have caused me to laugh, and even shed some happy tears. But mainly, those new stories gave me comfort and and joy and appreciation for the lovely souls who shared them with me:

Aunt Sandy called first thing Friday morning to tell me she was sorry and that she loved me. She also shared about the first time she had ever seen my Grandma. You see, my mom's parents and my dad's parents were close friends. Aunt Sandy is my mom's sister and she met my Grandma Genevieve when she was a small child (Aunt Sandy, not Grandma - obviously). Anyway, Aunt Sandy told me that the first time she laid eyes on my Grandma, she thought Grandma was a movie star. She looked like she had stepped right out of the TV set because she was so glamorous and put-together. Grandma was always dressed to the 9's and fully coiffed - even if she was just sitting around her house reading a book.

Then my brother called. He was sad for many reasons. First, we lost Grandma. But, he also had a fall-out with our father several months ago. Plus, he's going through a divorce and wanted to complain. Honestly, I didn't want to hear it, I wanted to focus on Grandma. But it was nice of him to call me anyway. I think. At least I was able to comfort HIM though. You gotta take your blessings where you find them sometimes. :oD

Then mother called. She, too, was sad. She had known Grandma her entire life, then she married my Dad and Grandma became another (well, an "only") mother to my mom. They were very close.

Then Aunt Linda called and we shared some hilarious stories about Grandma. I mean "LOL with tears running down your face" hilarious. My Grandma was such a proper woman. She was all about "appearances" in more ways than one. She insisted on the highest of decorum. So when she happened to slip up and do something "human", it was really funny. And the good thing about Grandma was that she would laugh, too - well, most of the time.

Then yesterday I received a sympathy card from my Grandma's step-daughter. She was the sweet angel who cared for Grandma in Santa Barbara before she went to live with my Dad. Diane was a godsend. Grandma was really quite nice when she wanted to be - but she had a very stubborn and mean streak through her, too. And poor Diane got Grandma's bad side more often than the good. Grandma resented relying on anyone and she really gave Diane a lot of grief. Anyway, Diane wrote that "God better be on his toes because he's just received the sweetest and most fiesty woman I know". Diane always tells me I'm wonderful and makes me feel just so darned good.

I've had emails and comments on my blog - all from friends wanting to provide comfort. I really am overwhelmed at how blessed I am. Truly, truly blessed.

The week has also been busy with the kidlets. Brendan ran for Student Council Rep for his class. They were choosing two reps and he came in tied for second place. Then he lost in the run-off. He was sad at first, but I quickly cheered him up. He was laughing at how all the kids in his class kept asking if they could have his poster. Everyone else had hand-drawn posters (which were cute and just fine), but Brendan's poster was a little more "embellished". We cut everything out on the cricut and I was finally able to use up a few of my MAMBI die-cuts from eons ago.

But the funniest thing this week was Katie-ism #1729. It goes something like this:

Marti: Katie, show Daddy your cute weenie-dog outfit Mommy bought you.
Daddy: Oh, that is so cute, Katie!
Marti: I told Houston I'd take a picture of Katie in her outfits and email them to her.
Daddy: Oh, does Houston have a weenie dog?
Marti: She has two: Hans and Edgar. Hans is a Rescue Dog.
Katie: (sudden loud intake of air) Does that mean he can fly?!?!
Marti: (trying desperately not to laugh hysterically at her sweet and ever-so-sincere daughter) No, Katie. That means he was rescued. He doesn't do the rescuing.

God always knows what I need, just when I need it. . .

1 comment:

BDJ said...

I too want to see the weenie dog outfit!
Hugs!