Thursday, August 28, 2008

First Day of School Pics

The day has arrived. The day I've been dreading since June. The day I try to avoid each year. Yes, yesterday was Brendan's first day of school. I always enjoy summers with my children and I am so sad when it is over each year. I love just playing and hanging out with them. I like not having a schedule. I like the fact than I get to spend all day with them. Then, it ends far too quickly. He is another grade older (third grade this year) and the time since last year has just flown by. I am trying so hard to cherish each day. I don't want to forget these moments with these two little ones. Marc's and Sean's childhoods just went by in the blink of an eye - and I don't want that to happen with Bren and Katie. Unfortunately, that's just how it is with children - they grow up and you can't do a darn thing about it!

I always take his picture outside in front of our tree on the first day of school so that I can see how much Brendan has grown each year. He hates it. He thinks it is unnecessary. Fortunately, Katie still likes posing for pictures so at least SHE is smiling.



Brendan by himself. I made Tom take this one. Apparently Brendan is more willing to smile when his father is the photographer.

Every year, on the first day of school, I make cupcakes. I don't know how or why I started this tradition, but the kids like it so I continue to do it. Another tradition is that Katie always ends up getting into the cupcakes before Brendan even gets home. She is so predictable. I don't know why I don't just put the cupcakes up where she can't reach them! I guess it would break tradition too much.

The evidence . . .

Katie had to have a small photo album for preschool. Since no "normal, store-bought, plain" photo album is sufficient for me, I decorated this one for her. Her name is on the side on a tag hanging from ribbon. This started out as a $2 album from Michael's. I made one of these earlier in the summer for my "Got Sketch" class. It was quick, easy, and totally inexpensive. Plus, nobody else has one like it. I used the Basic Grey "Sugared" collection (patterned paper and chipboard) and Bazzill cardstock on this one.

Katie begins preschool next Tuesday. She is STOKED!!!!!!!!!! We had her Open House yesterday morning where she met her teacher and some of her classmates. She already found a "best friend" and she was very disappointed that she didn't get to go back to school this morning. She doesn't understand why Brendan goes every day, but she only goes twice each week. I am praying she stays this enthusiastic for school in the coming years.

Well, my darling son will be home soon. Wanting cupcakes. And some attention. I'd better go get ready for him. I hope everyone has a super weekend! The official end of summer.......and the beginning of football season!!!!!!! Woooooooohoooooooo!!!!!!

No comments: