Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Aaaaaaaaack!!!!!!!

Our computer crashed again. for the third time. since September. Sigh.

The good news is that this time, Tom spoke with Mike (Brendan and Katie's Godfather who is an ultra-smart, computer techie guy) and he told Tom that it sounded like a bad hard drive. So, off I went to Circuit City to get a new one. We did some research before I left (luckily Tom had his laptop at home so we could check out the internet first). Then I quickly decided that I should be the one to go because women are much more believable at the "playing dumb" bit than men are. This sounds so sexist - but I have found it to be true. Anyway, I went to the store with my little handwritten list of specs that we needed our hard drive to have. I found the geekiest computer geek I've ever met (gotta love those tech-savvy kids these days) and I played dumb. And it worked quite well. I told the kid what was wrong - and what error message I kept getting in place of Windows when I turned my computer on - and he selected the drive that I needed. He also assured me that once we installed the new drive as the "master", the old drive would be a "slave" and would more than likely cough up any and all information contained on it. I came home with a new hard drive - which my brilliant husband quickly installed in our computer. And I got ALMOST all of the information on the "slave" drive - everything except my freakin' emails and contact list!

Smart Mike is on vacation in Arizona/Utah/Nevada right now. I will wait patiently for him to return home to Detroit so my husband can call and get proper instructions for finding my wayward contact list and my old emails. Tap. Tap. Tap. I'm waiting anyway. Trying to be patient. Tap. Tap. Tap.

But, on the bright side, I have a much faster computer now. And I have access to the internet again (which I missed terribly). I even got most of my iTunes back up and running - most of them. I will make Tom figure the rest of them out later.

I'm glad I married someone smart. I can run a computer just fine - turn it on, check my email, surf the 'net, shop (I shop very well), etc. But when it comes to installing things, I refuse. That way if anything goes wrong, my husband can't blame me. Life is happier that way.

So, if anyone wants to shoot me an email, I will add you back to my address book/contact list. hint. hint. hint.

Have a good one! I'll post more later - with pics even!

No comments: