Monday, December 17, 2007

Stuff has hit the fan........

The past few weeks have been...........interesting. The "cold" Katie caught after her afternoon in the dr. office turned into RSV within a few days. She has been very sick. I am so thankful that Sean is here - he has been such a help with her while I ran errands. I haven't been able to do much of anything except take care of her needs. She just began feeling a little better this weekend, and Brendan brought home a headcold and he/she/I are all suffering with it. Aaaaaaaaaaaacccccccckkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then, Tom's mother was re-admitted to the hospital with fluid in her lungs. She caught it before it turned into pneumonia again, but it's a serious condition nonetheless. This latest episode has forced all of us to realize how fragile her condition is. Uncle Don has been staying up here since the last hospitalization (a month ago) and he is looking so tired. We need to make some changes and set up a schedule for her care. As it looks right now, Tom and Steph will alternate weekends, Uncle Don will take Monday-Tuesday, and I will take Wednesday-Friday. This may change though - things around here seem to do that constantly. Also, I may have to take her dog back in for a while. Her doctor wants her to go back to rehab for her hip because she has regressed so much. She's been in bed for the last month and is now needing her walker again. The dr. feels rehab would help her, but she is resistant to going back there. If she agrees to go, I will be getting the dog-in-law for a while again. This is her 7th episode of fluid/pneumonia in her lungs this year. Tom is going to be speaking to her physician today or tomorrow and will try to get some sort of prognosis, but we know this is going to be a continuing trend and will only get worse rather than better.

I have had my Christmas Cards completed since November, but haven't had a chance to get my Christmas letter copied yet so they are still sitting on my work table in my scrapbook room. They are going to be late probably.

Also, we've had both of our computers crash and I have lost EVERYTHING off of them (pictures from vacation that I hadn't backed up yet, PTO files, contact list for my email, all of my work documents, etc.). Tom got one of them running again last night - he had to blow everything off of it, then re-install all of the programs so at least I can use it now. He is going to try and save some files off of the other one before he re-installs everything on it, but I am not feeling very hopeful about it.

So, to wrap it all up - Christmas cards may be late, we all have colds, computers are giving us fits, Tom's mother is really suffering, and I need a vacation to a tropical beach somewhere - complete with an umbrella-toting drink in my hand.

On the bright side of things: we've completed our Christmas shopping for the kids - took Katie to see Santa for the first time on Saturday - mailed out letters to Santa in the old-fashioned North Pole-bound mailbox at the downtown post office - actually got to visit the new library this weekend - and I think I can get my baking done this week. Remember, now matter how bleak things seem, there is ALWAYS a bright side.

I wish all of you a wonderful Christmas. We are thinking of you and wishing you God's richest blessings.

Love,
Marti

No comments: