..............was Tom's temperature this morning when we left for his mom's funeral. As I type this, he is wrapped in a blanket and is watching a Planet of the Apes marathon on TV.
Happy. New. Year. 2008 has GOT to be better than 2007 has been. Ugh!
The funeral went well. Fr. Gary did a super job at her funeral mass - the soloist was amazing - and it was nice to see so many of Kay's friends. Marc wasn't able to make it due to the weather/road conditions. He called and spoke with Tom tonight though - he felt really bad about missing the service. Brendan had a tough time getting through it. It broke my heart to see him so upset. Katie was awful during the funeral - she did NOT want to sit down. You'd think the child had never attended church before, she was that bad.
We are in the process of cleaning out her house. 34 years in the same home......so many memories for Tom and Steph..........so many things to move, pack, purge, etc. It has not been easy. We are making progress though. I think we are supposed to hear back from the realtor tomorrow regarding the sale price, etc. This whole situation is just really difficult for all of us.
As usual, I am trying to find the bright side to all of this. So, here it goes:
1. The kids had a nice Christmas in spite of all of the stress this year.
2. Katie got her Rose Petal Cottage and her "dress-up baby" as requested.
3. Brendan got a Nintendo DS and two games (Pokemon and a zoo game) as requested.
4. I got Tom a series of 5 golf lessons for the spring. From the kids, I got him a really cool gift card to Subway (his fave healthy-lunch spot) - the card was personalized with the kids' picture on it.
5. We had a nice prime rib dinner for Christmas. Tom zipped in to eat, then ran back to the hospital to be with his mother. But, at least we were able to enjoy a few minutes of the holiday together.
6. Even with everything that happened this past year, I still feel incredibly blessed.
I am amazed at the number of people who have contacted us with offers of meals, babysitting, moving furniture, etc. I am so touched at the generosity shown to us. We have some really, really wonderful friends.
I just wanted to check in really quickly to update and wish you all a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR! Blessings to you all!!!