Friday, June 08, 2007

Snow in June

Yes, we had SNOW yesterday! It didn't stick, but it was snowing nonetheless. Wild.

Brendan had a baseball game on Wednesday night - in 60 mph winds. NO kidding. The gusts were clocked at 59 mph. They made the young kids play in it, but cancelled the Post 6 game (16-17 year-olds). Go figure. Poor Brendan could barely stand to bat. The gusts were coming up behind him and almost blowing him over. Before the game even started, he started crying hysterically and begging me to take him home. I knew it was windy, but for him to cry like that is highly unusual. Well, we finally got it out of him that he thought we were going to have a tornado. He was terrified. Tom wasn't there - another late night at work for him - so I had to have another Dad help me calm him down and explain that it was just windy, no tornado was in sight. Poor kid. After two hours in it, Katie had had enough and began crying so I took her to the car and put a movie on for her. Some friends of ours brought Brendan to the car after the game. The wind was so bad that we could barely breathe. My lungs were on FIRE after being out in it that long.

Today is Brendan's last day of school. Summer is here (in spite of the snow yesterday). We are all looking forward to a little "unscheduled" time together. We have a busy summer planned, but there will be plenty of down-time, too. When I was a child, summers were such a carefree time - full of sun, swimming, and friends. I miss those days. It isn't as much fun when you are the mom. Although it is magical to see it through the eyes of your children. I keep thinking that I need to come up with a fun "last-day-of-school" tradition for us, but can't decide on what to do. Maybe take him out for pie or ice cream? Zoo trip (we've done that one before)? Ft. Collins for lunch with Dad? I don't know. I'll think of something before 10:30 though ;o)

Here's to sunny thoughts!

No comments: